Incomplete Tale (Short story)

“Hey” she greeted him, with a wide smile drawn over her face. He seemed to be lost, deep in thoughts. “Hello,” she said again, a little louder this time. It was then, he replied “Oh, hi!”, looking completely drained off.

 “Umm... I actually came to say that my project didn’t work out” she said in a low voice.

“Don’t worry, it’ll work out. Just keep trying” he said, looking away.

“Yeah” she paused, scrutinizing his condition, she hesitantly asked, “And…how’s life going on?”

“I don’t know” was all he replied.

“I’m all ears,” she said, as she took a seat beside him, giving her ‘are-you-serious’ look.

“I am dead serious” she stated. He wondered if she could read his mind. He knew she wouldn’t break his trust and so he started narrating his story.
Suddenly, her phone began to ring. ‘Dad’, the caller id read. “Just a second,” she said to him and accepted the call while he patiently waited for the call to end.
“Oh, okay. I’m on my way” she said over the phone call, while she apologetically saw him.
“No, I’m fine. There must be an emergency” he said, as though replying to what her eyes conveyed. With a tinch of hurt in his eyes, he looked away. “I’m sorry. I’ll call you, as soon as I’m done”, and with that, she left. He sat there for another hour, hoping that she’d call and then he can pour his heart out.
“Sorry, we’re leaving now. Can’t talk : (” her message popped up.
Why did I even think of telling it to her!’ he told himself.
 Just as he arrived home, he angrily threw his bag off his shoulders. Just then, he noticed a folded paper placed in the side pocket of his bag. ‘When did I keep this?’
He decided to check what it was. He unfolded the paper, his eyes widened in complete astonishment. It read:

To only you,
I know you’re going through something and I’m extremely sorry for not being able to rescue you from this situation. For every time you helped me, I don’t have words to express my gratitude. This is a little piece that I wrote for you.
 Honestly, you are the most positive person I’ve ever seen. You are that person who hardly ever worried about failure. You are that person who never gave up even on impossible things. You don’t wait for opportunities to come by, you create your own. Never have I ever seen you give up before the race starts. But now…you seem quite low. You say that you’re confused as hell, you say that you’re lost, you say that you’re miserable. It was all fine, till you said that you want to give up your dream.
I’m not gonna rant the old story ‘Life has its ups and down, you need to live every moment…blah blah’. I can’t deny the fact that life has its ups and downs, you have no other option except to survive.  You will lose, gain, earn, reject, accept a lot of stuff, but giving up on your dream? No, you shouldn’t do that ever.
“Why shouldn’t I? Doesn’t look like I’ll be happy even after achieving that”
A dream come true, is happiness in itself. You cannot conclude your dream before it is turned into a reality. You don’t have to look over someone to support you for your dream, you only have to start. The hardest part is always the beginning. The moment you start, you know you can finish it off. And then when you finish it, the ones who left will be on your doorstep. You know who you are better than anyone else. Let me remind you something: You need not look for inspiration in others because you are one, who inspired others.
I believe you can and you will make your dream come true.
Yours ‘I-won't-break-your-trust’


"So, you knew I was going through something???" he texted her, but the reply never came.

*Dedicated*

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

A lesson

Domestic Violence

Independence day