Justice For An Animal


In a world where human beings die to get justice, demanding justice for a innocent animal is way too selfish, yeah?

-------

“Huh? What? Okay.” My brother said over the phone and turned towards me, “Waleed called, he asked me and you to his home and stay with his sisters for a while. Something urgent, it seems.”, he said.

“Oh, okay. I hope Sherry is fine” I rushed, closing my work. Just as we were about to leave, mom called out “Where are you going?”. 

“Waleed called and asked us to go check on his sisters. They must’ve found Sherry, probably it’s wounded. We’ll go, check and let you know” I replied.
“Oh… Sherry is such a great cat, take her to the veterinary clinic right away,  if needed.”

And with that, we closed the door behind us and rushed upstairs,  to their home and rang the bell.
One ring, two rings, no response. We waited for 5 minutes and rang the bell again. “Hi Manha…hey are you alright?” my tone suddenly changed,  seeing her red, puffed up eyes. “Give me a second, I’ll get Mayisha”, she said and closed the door. I could do nothing except to nod. I turned to my brother, asking him if he knows anything. It wasn’t surprising that he didn’t know anything either.

Within two minutes, both Manha and Mayisha came out, locked the door, turned towards me and said “Let’s go down. We’ll come back when mom and my brothers come home”.  Without waiting for my response, they started walking downstairs. “Hold on guys, did you guys find Sherry? Did something happen?”, I stopped them.
“Yeah, Sherry is murdered. It’s dead.” Their words completely caught me off guard.
“WHAT?” I yelled. 




“Okay, tell me what exactly happened?” I asked, after giving them a glass of water, taking then to my home. 

“I called you in the evening and asked if you have Sherry, right?"She said and I nodded, " We looked for it everywhere. Home, terrace, neighborhood, everywhere! When we couldn’t find her over two hours, then we asked the watchman’s son if he saw it playing anywhere. Within two minutes, he brought Sherry and gave it to me, dead Sherry. When I asked him how did it died and how did he found it, he said that the cat fell off the terrace and fell on the building behind our apartment. But there were no traces of any sort of hurt on his body except it’s face. It looked as though it was hit by a stone, plus the bells in its neck are also missing. I think it’s him who killed it and then cooked up a story.” Mayesha ended, fidgeting her fingers and tears rolling her cheeks. “But why do you think he would kill a cat?” I inquired.

“I don’t know, he often used to say ‘throw away this cat, I hate it, I wish it would die’ stuff like that. He even used to hit him when it would go on the terrace to play.”, she sobbed.

“Waleed says he’s gonna kill the boy, it’s next to impossible to stop him. He, mom and Wadud must arrive anytime  now. Dad had gone to hometown, he will come by morning. No idea what to do now.

"It's okay. Calm down" my mom comforted them.

“Is Sherry at home now?” I asked. “Yes, it died long back. It’s body is cold and …” even before she could complete her sentence, there were a sudden load roar of cry and chaos in the air, as though a big fight going on. We all looked at each other .“Is it Waleed?” my mom, asked.

“Oh shit! It definitely must be him” Manha and Mayesha said in unison.

Wasting no more time, all of us got up, rushing towards the source of sound. Surprisingly, just as we opened the main door of my house the lights went off. There was an emergency light right beside me on the table, I quickly picked it up and ran downstairs. While running downstairs, I noticed everyone was coming out of their homes and rushing to where I was going, to see what was the chaos about.
The second I saw the sight, I gulped down my own saliva.  There were over seven men from the neighboring buildings,  trying their best to stop the two raging boys. One of them had a long stick to beat the shit out of the watchman’s son, while he was hiding behind his mother (watchman’s wife), who was graciously throwing cuss words at the boys, and me?

I was just standing with the emergency light in my hand, letting the light fall on the scene. At the moment, I didn’t understand what or why. I just stood, blankly staring at the scene.

"Calm down boy, what are you doing" said one of the men, pushing Wadud back.
"WHAT AM I DOING?" he shouted, "HE EXECUTED OUR CAT."And with that, he hit the long stick on the generator.
"HE TOOK MY BABY'S LIFE SO RUTHLESSLY. " Waleed jumped in."I'm gonna put you behind the bars" He yelled again and started dialing. ''You want to kill a human just because he killed your cat?" asked another of the men.

"Just a cat?" I thought, it seems 'just a cat' to others. If only they knew they how they cared for it, even more than a little baby. But obviously, in world where there's no value for innocent souls, this is 'just a cat'.
“Norah!!!” I heard my mother yell, standing on the top of the staircase. The second my eyes met hers, she shouted “What the hell do you think you’re doing? Come back here at once.”. The look on her face was enough to make me obey her without any second thoughts.

Soon, everyone went to their respective homes.  

Two hours later, mom asked "You wanted to be hit or what? Why were you standing focusing the light on the fight?"
It was then I realized, why was I even there? Helping Sherry get justice? 

It was just an animal's death for everyone who said 'Such a big issue just for executing a pet!'.
They're actually right, in world, where humans are decimated in thousandsju for no reason, this was just an animal! 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

A lesson

Domestic Violence

Independence day